On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.
Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore.
Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?
Making the Grade is SO EXCITED to kick off the Official Blog Tour for this delightful time-traveling romance! Rachel Harris has got to be one of the most fabulous authors… EVER!
In addition to reading the guest post with Rachel Harris below, please be sure to check out our review of MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY!
As a teen, Rachel Harris threw raging parties that shook her parents’ walls and created embarrassing fodder for future YA novels. As an adult, she reads and writes obsessively, rehashes said embarrassing fodder, and dreams up characters who become her own grown up version of imaginary friends.
When she’s not typing furiously or flipping pages in an enthralling romance, you can find her homeschooling her two beautiful princesses, hanging out with her amazing husband, or taking a hot bubble bath…next to a pile of chocolate. MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY is her debut novel.
She did have her own fantabulous Sweet Sixteen in high school. Sadly, it wasn’t televised.
Hey everyone, and thanks so much for having me here today, Jenna!
You know, I love every single stop on my tour obviously, but I have to admit, I might’ve had the most fun tossing Jenna’s topic around with my friends who’ve read My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century.
Quick recap of the book: My protagonist, Cat Crawford, a modern-day gal, finds herself sent via gypsy magic back to Renaissance Firenze. Lucky for her, she gets to bring a backpack filled with contraband items from the future…and our girl, Jenna, thought it’d be fun to see what the top 16 things (get it, sixteen? Love it!) I think are essential for any time-traveling chica. Limiting it did prove to be a challenge, but here it is:
My Top 16 List:
“Things Every Girl Must Pack for the Sixteenth Century”
- Toothpaste. Our brands are much better than the homemade sour mixture they concocted, trust me.
- Makeup. There the look is pasty white faces with bright crimson cheeks. Not really feeling it.
- Bubble bath. You have to have some indulgences, and since they didn’t do showers…and didn’t even bathe that often…you’re gonna wanna enjoy bath time when you can.
- Deodorant. Not really something they used. Plus, see bath above.
- IPod. A link to sanity plus it could prove amusing if you choose to share it with any Renaissance folk.
- Digital camera. You’re gonna want to take pictures of everything to remember it and prove you aren’t crazy once you get back.
- Tons of batteries. Unfortunately, there aren’t going to be any outlets to recharge, or stores to buy more.
- Comfortable shoes. Sixteenth-century footwear? Not so stellar.
- Modern-day fat-suckers to bypass (or so you hope) the horrid corset. Those things are just evil.
- (While we’re on this topic) Clean underwear. Yeah, they didn’t really wear any back in the day. Either embrace the commando or bring some with you.
- Gallon size bag of peanut M&Ms. Snackage is essential, and they tended to have an interesting menu back then. One such item, roasted peacock. No thank you.
- Hand-held motorized fan. No A/C and a bazillion layers isn’t an awesome mix. (see tons of batteries above)
- A history book so you can know what’s happening around you and sound really, really smart
- Bottled water (turns out, they couldn’t drink theirs).
- A case of Coke, while you’re at it. A girl’s gotta have her caffeine.
- And finally, a tub of Breath mints so you can have minty fresh breath for all the Renaissance hotties running around.
Thank you so much for stopping by today, Rachel! That definitely is a handy list that any girl should keep in mind… You never know when a gypsy might decided to whisk YOU back in time! If you haven’t already, please check out our rave review of MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY by Rachel Harris.
Giveaway ends September 23rd.
US only for the grand prize, but the extra swag pack is international.
Winner has 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You can find out more about this Blog Tour HERE.